Promoting and maintaining high standards of Australian orthopaedic surgery
The Australian Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons (ASOS) is an association of practising orthopaedic surgeons across all specialties. ASOS is completely independent and funded by member subscriptions. ASOS does not accept money from governments or health funds. We speak with an independent voice for hard working orthopaedic surgeons who make an outstanding contribution to the lives of many Australians.
ASOS supports the importance of the doctor-patient relationship and the right of patients to receive the best possible orthopaedic treatment. ASOS does not support US style managed care, a system where health corporations seek to influence treatment to meet corporate financial objectives.
ASOS’s objectives are to promote and maintain the highest standards of orthopaedic patient care and professional conduct by orthopaedic surgeons. These include:
- Advancing orthopaedic surgery.
- Promoting and maintaining the highest standard of orthopaedic patient care in the community.
- Promoting and maintaining the highest standard of professional conduct by orthopaedic surgeons.
- Promoting mutual understanding and fellowship between orthopaedic surgeons.
- Promoting good relations between orthopaedic surgeons and others engaged in the practise of medicine and between orthopaedic surgeons and the community.
- Promoting and safeguarding the professional interests and working conditions of orthopaedic surgeons.
- Promoting and safeguarding the freedom of Australians to seek the services of orthopaedic surgeons and others practising in the private and public sectors of medicine.